- Casey Hamm
- October 13, 2015
What to Learn from Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s Puppy Death
We know how much people love their pets and we know how much it hurts when we lose them…
It’s even more tragic when we lose them to accidents – similar to how celebrity Dwayne Johnson lost his little puppy…
If you follow the former WWE star “The Rock” on Instagram, you probably saw his sad update about his puppy Brutus…
Brutus, whom Johnson introduced to his fans just a few short weeks ago, ate a poisonous mushroom and, unfortunately, had to be put down 🙁
His caption read as follows:
“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed.
At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace.
As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.
I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family…
This puppy’s story is heartbreaking, but sadly, it’s not uncommon.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, their Animal Poison Control Center handled over 167,000 cases in 2014. About 13% of those cases involved human foods or plants.
It’s important to be aware of the food and plants around your home that may have lethal consequences for your furry friends…
Thanks to Upworthy, they compiled a list of the top 10 more dangerous foods and plants for your pets!
Let’s start with Dog Care 101! Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, two ingredients that can cause vomiting, seizures, and death in dogs…
As Halloween approaches, make sure to keep your candy out of paws’ reach.
- Sago Palms
This popular plant kept indoors and out is highly dangerous to pets. The entire plant is poisonous, but just ONE seed can result in liver failure.
- Raw Bread Dough
A dog’s or cat’s stomach is the perfect warm environment for yeast to multiply, which can cause the stomach to expand and restrict blood flow…
All that yeast also produces alcohol, so your pet may suffer from alcohol poisoning if they get enough of that raw dough!
Speaking of alcohol, home brewers take note: These fragrant plants can cause a dog’s temperature to climb to dangerous levels…
And they’re not great for cats either!
- Macadamia Nuts
As few as six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog ill. Within 12 hours of eating the nuts, your dog may experience muscle weakness, vomiting, and a rapid increase in body temperature…
When combined with chocolate (as is often the case) the symptoms only intensify.
These autumnal favorites are everywhere this time of year, but these popular flowers can cause dermatitis, vomiting, and incoordination in dogs and cats…this goes for lilies and cats!
So flower lovers beware – take care to bring home decor that won’t make your animals sick if they take a little nibble from the vase.
- Garlic and Onions
This goes for everything in the garlic and onion family: leeks, chives, scallions, all of that good stuff…
Eating these veggies affects the red blood cells, which can cause anemia, organ failure, or death in dogs and cats…
And be advised, toxicity can occur whether the products are fresh or concentrated in soup mixes and spices…
These beautiful plants are very common around Easter, but they’re dangerous when ingested, causing tremors, hypersalivation (which is exactly what it sounds like), and intense abdominal pain…
- Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins can cause rapid kidney failure in your four-legged friend.
For this food in particular, all animals are not affected the same way, and veterinarians still don’t know what it is about grapes that makes dogs and cats sick…
Either way, keep Mother Nature’s fruit snacks away from your pet.
- Anything moldy or rotten
This goes for humans just the same!
Some mold contains life-threatening toxins that can harm your pet. Avoid giving your dog rotting food, and help them steer clear of roadkill or rotting fruits and nuts from trees while you’re outside…
A good rule to remember here: If you wouldn’t eat it, don’t let them eat it.
If you are worried that your pet ingested something poisonous, immediately call your vet!
DO NOT wait for symptoms to arise because that may be too late!
Get Your Free Case Evaluation