Swimming Pool and Spa Safety
- Casey Hamm
- July 14, 2015
- Personal InjuryPhoenix personal injury attorneyPhoenix swimming pool accident lawyerTucson swimming pool accident lawyer
We here at Zanes have previously discussed swimming pool and spa safety and have given you a lots of tips about how to stay cool and safe in the summer heat…
For Arizonans, it’s pretty much the same top tips every year – water, sunscreen, REPEAT.
We’ve also been talking a lot about our kids staying cool via water fights and swimming pools!
If you have a swimming pool or you take your kids to the local public pool, you know how much fun and refreshing it is!
We also wanted to take the opportunity to remind you of some key swimming pool and spa safety tips that are imperative to keeping everyone in your family safe and secure in and around pools this summer.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends that pool owners adopt these swimming pool and spa safety tips prevent children from getting to the water when there is no adult supervision….
We think so too!
To get started, ask yourself the questions listed below.
Your answers to these questions will help you to evaluate the effectiveness of your water safety measures and to determine what steps need to be taken to prevent drowning injuries:
- Is there a fence around the perimeter of your pool or spa?
- Do you have self-closing and self-latching gates?
- Are there door, gate, or pool alarms in use/working condition?
- Does your pool have anti-entrapment drain covers that protect swimmers?
- Are all pool and spa covers in working order?
- Has someone in the family received CPR training?
- Has everyone learned to swim?
If you own a pool, you want your answer to all of the above questions to be “YES.”
It is extremely important to understand that a child can drown in the time it takes to answer a telephone!
Folks, that’s devastatingly fast!
Listed below are some swimming pool and spa safety tips that you can adopt in order to make your pool or spa safe for children:
- Always watch your children when they are in or near a pool or spa: This means even if they know how to swim! If someone slips and hits their head or injures themselves in any way, you want to be the first person to tend to the emergency. If your child goes unconscious from a fall or injury and they are by themselves, they could drown.
- Teach your children how to swim at an early age: This means swimming lessons as soon as they can get them. Today, there are many facilities near you that offer swimming lessons for all age groups.
- Teach your children basic water safety tips: This means going over safety tips before every trip to the pool or splash in the backyard. Even make it fun and post up a board with all the “rules” of the pool that the kids can contribute to and follow.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments: This means actually showing your children what those look like and where they are looked in and around the pool. A visual reminder will help them to remember to associate it with avoiding it.
- Have a portable telephone close by when you or your family are using a pool or spa: This means having a cell phone nearby…which today should never be a problem!
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa FIRST: This means do NOT waste anytime looking elsewhere. This could mean the difference between life and death.
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors: This means being active with all the children and parents sharing the pool. Don’t be shy, share the knowledge and keep your eyes wide open!
One of the best parts of an Arizona summer is having a good splash in the pool…
But it can also be one of the most dangerous with children. We here at Zanes want you to have the BEST summer by staying safe in and out of the water!
Let us know if you have any great local pools or water parks you like to frequent?
Have any recommendations for swimming lessons? Let the Zanes community know in the comments below!
- Heatwaves and Motor Vehicle Accidents: Extremely Hot Weather is Associated with an Increased Risk of a Car Crash
- How Installing a Car Seat Improperly Can Lead to Injury
- Phoenix Injury Lawyer’s Advice on Filing a Car Accident Report
- Everything You’ve Ever Wondered About Parking Lot Car Accidents
- Avoiding Phoenix Car Accidents By Turning Your Cell Phone Off