Cracking Windshield from the Summer Heat
- Casey Hamm
- July 1, 2015
Cracking Windshield Advice
After 110 degrees one stops counting the degrees the temperature rises…
Hot is HOT. Who cares what degrees?
We hear you!
But we still want you to be safe when it comes to driving your car in this extreme heat…
Part of that safety is taking care to manage your windshield that is often susceptible to cracking or worse breaking entirely from the heat.
Here are some must follow tips for caring for your windshield during the summer (especially if you already have a rock chip on the window):
- Get rock chips repaired right away! Don’t wait to see if the chip is going to spread or not. Heat, road vibrations, even temperature and pressure changes can cause the smallest rock chip to spread suddenly across the entire windshield.
- Park your car in the shade. The baking sun is the biggest culprit for a cracking windshield during the summer. Keep your car parked in the shade. This is crucial until the windshield is repaired if you have a chip. It is also a good idea to keep several windows rolled down about half an inch to reduce the internal temperature of your car.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes. Don’t blast your ice cold A/C directly on the hot windshield. The sudden temperature changes can cause small chips and microscopic cracks or flaws to start cracking. This also goes for cold water on the windshield via washing your car.
- Don’t slam car doors. Damage, such as a rock chip, causes a weak spot in your windshield. Slamming the car door causes a sudden pressure change that might cause the rock chip to spread. Take it easy there hulk!
5. Fix broken/cracked windshields immediately! Driving with this distraction puts you and your passengers at risk for an auto accident. Cracked windshields are difficult to see through and past resulting in distracted driving.
Although heat, roads being torn and just the natural debris of the road can certainly cause damage to a windshield, the damage can be greatly reduced or eliminated by following the above tips.
Safe summer driving y’all!
- Heatwaves and Motor Vehicle Accidents: Extremely Hot Weather is Associated with an Increased Risk of a Car Crash
- How Installing a Car Seat Improperly Can Lead to Injury
- Phoenix Injury Lawyer’s Advice on Filing a Car Accident Report
- Everything You’ve Ever Wondered About Parking Lot Car Accidents
- Avoiding Phoenix Car Accidents By Turning Your Cell Phone Off