A Guide to Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuits in Tucson
March 7, 2023
Slip-and-fall accidents can happen anywhere, from grocery stores to private residences, and can result in severe injuries with long-term consequences. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident in Tucson, you might be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related expenses.
In some cases, filing a lawsuit is the only way to recover damages for injuries brought on by unsafe conditions. This guide will provide essential information on Tucson slip-and-fall accident lawsuits, including how to prove fault, what damages you may be entitled to, and how a personal injury attorney can help you navigate the legal process.
Proving Fault in a Slip-and-Fall Case
After a premises liability accident, you may wonder whether you have a case that warrants compensation. Of course, one crucial element of a personal injury case is proving fault, so let’s dive deeper into what that entails.
In a trip-and-fall case, proving fault involves demonstrating that the property owner or manager was aware of a dangerous condition (such as a wet floor or uneven surface) and failed to take reasonable steps to address it. It is also possible that they created the hazard themselves.
Surveillance footage, witness testimony, and incident reports can help establish fault. However, you or your attorney must also show that the unsafe condition directly caused the injury you sustained.
For a free legal consultation, call 866-499-8989
Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall
Now that you know the basics of proving fault in a slip-and-fall case, it’s important to understand what constitutes negligence. Generally speaking, “negligence” refers to a failure to take reasonable care to prevent harm to others.
Here are the key elements of negligence in a slip-and-fall case:
- Duty of care: The property owner or manager had a legal duty to ensure that the premises were safe for visitors.
- Breach of duty: The property owner or manager breached this duty of care by failing to take reasonable steps to prevent someone from slipping and falling.
- Causation: The property owner’s breach of duty directly caused the plaintiff’s slip and fall accident.
- Damages: The plaintiff suffered actual damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, or pain and suffering, due to the slip and fall incident.
Seeking Damages in a Slip and Fall Lawsuit
In addition to establishing negligence, the injured party must calculate the losses they have suffered. Examples of common damages in a slip-and-fall lawsuit include the following:
- Medical expenses: This includes all medical bills associated with your injury, including hospitalization, surgery, medication, and physical therapy.
- Loss of income: If your injury caused you to miss work or rendered you unable to work, you could seek compensation for lost wages or loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for physical pain and emotional distress may be available if you can demonstrate that your injury has caused ongoing pain and suffering.
- Loss of enjoyment: If your injury has prevented you from enjoying activities you previously enjoyed, such as hobbies or spending time with loved ones, you may be able to recover compensation for that loss.
- Wrongful death: If a loved one has died due to a fall, surviving family members may be able to recover compensation for the decedent’s medical costs, funeral expenses, and other damages.
Working with an experienced personal injury attorney will make determining the full extent of your damages easier, so you can receive fair compensation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Available Compensation for a Slip and Fall
It’s important to note that there is no fixed compensation amount for those who have experienced slip-and-fall accidents. Every case is unique, and the payout amount varies depending on the specific details of the accident.
Generally, the compensation awarded to the victim is based on their medical expenses, among other factors. The settlement amount can range from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the severity of the victim’s injuries.
Example $700,000 Payout
For example, our law firm achieved a $700,000 payout for a client who walked into a convenience store bathroom and tripped over a doorstop that had fallen off the door. The client suffered a herniated disk and other back injuries due to the fall.
Remember that every case is unique, and your Tucson slip-and-fall lawyer will work with medical and economic experts to calculate the damages in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Winning a Slip and Fall Case
After a Tucson slip-and-fall accident, seeking legal representation as soon as possible can improve your chances of a successful lawsuit. A personal injury lawyer can assess the strength of your case and develop a legal strategy.
Remember that time is of the essence in these cases due to Arizona’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims.
Here are some additional tips to increase your chances of winning your slip-and-fall case:
- Document the accident scene and gather evidence, including photos and witness statements.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible and keep detailed records of all medical expenses related to the accident.
- Keep a journal documenting any pain and suffering you experience and how your injuries affect your day-to-day life.
- Avoid discussing the case with anyone except your lawyer, and follow their advice closely.
- Be patient and prepared for a lengthy legal process, as slip-and-fall cases can take time to resolve.
Take the first step toward receiving the compensation you deserve by consulting with a qualified personal injury lawyer.
Contact a Tucson Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyer Today!
At Zanes Law, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll slip-and-fall injuries can take on accident victims and their families. That’s why our slip-and-fall attorneys are committed to holding negligent property owners accountable by fighting for maximum compensation for our clients.
In addition to slip, trip, and fall cases, we handle various personal injury cases, including car and truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents. Don’t wait to seek legal representation if you are injured.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.