There is no cure for mesothelioma, but some treatments effectively reduce related symptoms and offer a better short-term prognosis. Treatment is generally based on the extent of the cancer, but most mesothelioma cases are treated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Clinical trials are also underway to test emerging treatments such as immunotherapy and gene therapy. While both treatments have shown some success in trials, they are not yet on the market in most cases. Our mesothelioma attorneys can help you understand possible treatment options and how legal action can benefit you.
Traditional Treatments for Mesothelioma
Before you get in touch with one of our mesothelioma lawyers, you should seek one of the many forms of medical treatment options that exist for mesothelioma. Some cases of mesothelioma can be managed with traditional cancer treatments. This includes:
Chemotherapy is the first-line treatment for mesothelioma. It is usually given as a combination of pemetrexed and cisplatin, although other drugs may be used in combination with pemetrexed or can be used on their own.
In the past, radiation therapy damaged large areas around the cancerous growth and increased the risks of complications. Today, doctors can target cancer with better accuracy, ensure the dose you receive is exactly what is necessary, and limit the damage to nearby structures or tissues.
In addition, technological advances allow continuous imaging of the site during treatment, computer-assisted planning of treatments, and the ability to give larger, more effective doses of radiation. This could allow you to finish treatment faster or get more effective radiation treatment.
Surgery for Mesothelioma
It is difficult to identify mesothelioma early, so it is often diagnosed when it is too large to remove. However, if diagnosed early enough, your doctor may be able to remove the growth via surgery. This may include:
- A pleurectomy, when they remove the pleura; or
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy removes a lung and the affected pleura covering it.
Usually, however, the diagnosis comes too late, and the cancer has already advanced too much to remove the pleura. If this occurs, surgery may make it easier to reduce the symptoms and allow your condition to improve. This type of surgery may include:
- Inserting a drain in your chest, allowing any fluid build-up to drain; or
- Removing the lung and pleura to reduce symptoms.
This type of treatment utilizes the patient’s immune system to battle the cancerous cells. Because they are a natural part of the body, they target only the cancer cells and do not damage surrounding tissues.
Gene therapy is not related to the patient’s genetic makeup. Instead, it utilizes a genetically altered virus designed to target the cancer cells. In cancer treatment, the altered viruses will replace the defective copy of a cell.
Over time, the cells all become the altered virus “look-alike” cells instead of the original defective cell. This kills the cancer cells and significantly impacts tumor growth.
What Losses Can You Recover in a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
In a mesothelioma lawsuit, you could recover various types of compensation for the damages you suffered. Understanding the potential losses that you could recover is crucial when pursuing legal action. Here are some of the losses that you can recover in a mesothelioma lawsuit:
- Medical expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of mesothelioma
- Lost wages and income due to the inability to work
- Pain and suffering endured as a result of the illness
- Emotional distress
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of consortium or companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of quality of life
Recovering these losses through a mesothelioma lawsuit can provide financial relief and a sense of justice for those affected by this devastating disease. Our team of mesothelioma attorneys at our law firm will review your case details and tell you which damages you could recover.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Mesothelioma Lawyer After Your Diagnosis?
Hiring a mesothelioma and asbestos lung cancer lawyer after a diagnosis can have numerous benefits and significantly impact your legal journey. Here are some key benefits of having the services of a mesothelioma lawyer:
- Legal experience: Mesothelioma lawyers have experience in asbestos-related cases and have in-depth knowledge of the laws and regulations surrounding mesothelioma claims. They understand the complexities of the legal process and can navigate through it effectively on your behalf.
- Case evaluation: A mesothelioma lawyer from our firm can assess the details of your case, including your medical history, asbestos exposure, and potentially liable parties. We can determine the strength of your claim and identify all possible sources of compensation, including asbestos trust funds, settlements, or litigation against responsible companies.
- Maximizing compensation: We will fight for your rights and work diligently to secure maximum compensation. We can negotiate with insurance companies and defendants, making sure you receive fair compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Support and guidance: Dealing with a mesothelioma diagnosis is emotionally challenging, and a mesothelioma lawyer can provide the support and guidance you need during this difficult time. We can offer compassionate counsel, answer your legal questions, and alleviate the burden of the legal process, allowing you to focus on your health and well-being.
By hiring a mesothelioma and asbestos lung cancer lawyer, you can benefit from our team’s years of experience, get an evaluation of your case, and receive the necessary support and guidance throughout the legal journey. Our team can greatly enhance your chances of obtaining fair compensation and justice for the harm caused by asbestos exposure.
Talk to an Attorney About Taking Legal Action in Your Asbestos Litigation Case Today
At Zanes Law, we know there is no cure for mesothelioma, and our team wants to take immediate action on behalf of the wrongs and pain you have suffered. A mesothelioma and asbestos lung cancer lawyer will review your case for free and can even sign you up on the same phone call. If you would rather meet face-to-face, we can meet you in your home or hospital room for your initial consultation.
Let us take legal action on your behalf, pursue compensation, and hold the asbestos manufacturer or another liable party accountable. Call us to get started today.