What Facts Do I Need to Gather After a Car Accident in Phoenix, AZ?
- Zanes Law Web Team
- July 26, 2019
- Car Accidents
Nobody expects to be in a car accident, but if you have, first make sure that you get medical attention. After checking on anyone else that may be in need of medical attention, move the car to a safe spot, call 911, and wait for help to arrive.
Gather All Necessary Evidence
After completing the above steps, begin to gather information from the scene. Some facts you need to gather after a car accident in Phoenix, AZ may include:
- The contact information (full name, address, and phone numbers) of anyone involved in the accident
- The information on the driver’s license and insurance card of the driver of the other car
- The type of car involved in the accident including the color, make, model, and any other identifying information
- The contact information for anyone who may have witnessed the accident (They may play a significant role in an insurance claim or lawsuit. Pay attention to what people say and make a note of their comments if you believe they may be significant.)
Get the Police Officer’s Information
Get the police officer’s name and badge number and retain a copy of the police report after the officer completes it. The police report is important evidence in an insurance claim. If possible, review the report at the scene of the accident to make sure that the information contained in it is accurate. Let the police know important information such as if you smelled alcohol on the other driver’s breath.
Take Photos and Videos
Take photos or videos of the cars involved in the accident and the location where the accident occurred. Make sure that the photos or videos show the damage to the cars involved in the accident.
Keep the Information in a Safe Place
Document where and when the accident occurred. You may want to note the weather and road conditions. The sooner you document the information, the better, as memories can fade over time. Make sure to keep everything that you have documented in a safe place, so it is easy to locate later.
Call Your Insurer
Notify your insurer as soon as possible. Reporting an accident to your insurance company does not have to involve going into detail about what occurred.
What Not to Do After a Car Accident
As important as it is to gather facts after an accident, what not to do after a car accident is also important.
Do Not Make Any Statements About Fault for the Accident
Do not make any comments to anyone else about who is responsible for the accident. When the police arrive, let them know your version of the events that took place.
After a car accident, you may be dazed, confused, and depending on the severity of your injuries, possibly in shock. It is vital to remain calm so that your recollections from the accident are as clear as possible. Anything that you say to anyone, including the other driver’s insurance company, can be used against you at a later date. The most innocent statements can be made to sound incriminating when determining liability in a car accident.
Do Not Speculate on Events
Do not speculate on what you believe the other driver was doing before the accident. Instead, let the officers complete their investigation and come to their own conclusions.
Hiring an Attorney
Once you have the facts you need to gather after a car accident in Phoenix, AZ, get in touch with a car accident lawyer. They will use this evidence to prove another party behaved negligently and caused your accident. This means you can hold the other party liable for your injuries and other losses.
It is in your best interest to contact Zanes Law as soon as possible. The Arizona statute of limitations for a car accident lawsuit in Arizona is generally two years from the date of the accident. If you fail to file a lawsuit within this time, you will likely be unable to recover compensation.
Get in touch with us today at (833)-890-8329.
Get Your Free Case Evaluation
Car Accident Lawyer Near Me
- Tucson Car Accident Lawyer
- Seattle Car Accident Lawyer
- Phoenix Car Accident Lawyer
- South Tucson Car Accident Lawyer
- Mesa Car Accident Lawyer
- Scottsdale Car Accident Lawyer
- Chandler Car Accident Lawyer
- Yuma Car Accident Lawyer
- Glendale Car Accident Lawyer
- Peoria Car Accident Lawyer
- Gilbert Car Accident Lawyer
- Tempe Car Accidents Lawyer
- Avondale Car Accident Lawyer
- Surprise Car Accident Lawyer
- Flagstaff Car Accident Lawyer
- Goodyear Car Accident Lawyer