What Are The Symptoms Of Hernia Mesh Failure?
- Casey Hamm
- June 7, 2019
When a hernia mesh implant fails, it can manifest as any (or all) of several symptoms. The most common symptoms of hernia mesh failure are:
- Hernia recurrence
- Adhesion (when the scar-like matter that sticks tissues together forms)
- Obstruction (a blockage of the small or large intestine)
According to BBC News, the complication rate for hernia mesh implants is between 12 and 30 percent. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports that many hernia mesh repair complications are associated with mesh products that have been recalled. Recalled meshes represent the number-one cause of obstruction and bowel perforation complications.
You can access a database of recalled medical devices, including hernia meshes, on the FDA website.
Surgical Hernia Repair Complications With and Without Hernia Mesh
Any type of surgical hernia repair, including procedures that use surgical hernia mesh and those that do not, can result in adverse effects for the patient. According to FDA, some of the most common of these effects include:
- Hernia recurrence
- Fistula (an abnormal connection between organs, vessels, or intestines)
- Seroma (fluid build-up at the surgical site)
- Perforation (a hole in neighboring tissues or organs)
Patients Who Have Suffered From Hernia Mesh Failure Are Angry
From coast to coast, patients who trusted their health to the use of hernia mesh implants only to suffer injuries from these medical devices are acting on their right to hold manufacturers responsible.
As these patients realized the harm that had been done to them at the hands of corporate greed, they searched for legal recourse. Ultimately, they found legal ground for demanding compensation on the basis that hernia mesh manufacturers:
- Failed to adequately test the hernia meshes before putting them on the market
- Manufactured and distributed defective products
- Intentionally concealed the risks associated with hernia mesh implants
- Mispresented their mesh hernia repair products as being safe and effective
Patients Are Suing Manufacturers of Hernia Mesh Repair Products
According to the National Law Review, thousands of hernia mesh cases have been filed in the state of Rhode Island alone and against a single manufacturer of hernia meshes, C.R. Bard.
Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) cases have also started coming together in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. The outcome of bellwether trials in both areas will determine whether the parties can reach a global settlement. If this does not come to fruition, the courts will remand each case back to the plaintiff’s home for trial.
The following hernia mesh manufacturers are meeting with litigation across the country:
- Bard: PerFix, 3DMax, Marlex, Kugel, Composix, Ventralex, Ventrio, Sepramesh and Ventralight product lines
- Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon: Physiomesh, Proceed, PHS and Prolene 3D product lines
- Atrium: C-Qur and Proloop product lines
- Covidien: Parietex product line
- Gore Medical: Gore-Tex mesh
- Genzyme: Sapramesh (purchased by Bard)
Determining Which Hernia Mesh Doctors Used in Your Hernia Repair
You probably do not recall the name of the mesh your doctor told you they would use in your hernia repair surgery—chances are, they never mentioned it. But you can request your medical records and find the name and/or type there. Your lawyer can assist you in determining the type of mesh that was used and whether it is among those that have been identified as subject to a lawsuit.
Contacting an Attorney for Assistance in Filing a Claim or Lawsuit
You may detect symptoms of complications immediately after your hernia mesh surgery, or the complications could manifest years later. Either way, as soon as the symptoms present themselves, you will want to contact a personal injury attorney immediately—preferably one who has worked in the realm of defective medical devices.
Be aware that you have a limited time in which to take legal action, and before you can even move on any claim or lawsuit, you need to know whether you qualify for a hernia mesh lawsuit. A personal injury lawyer can review your case and let you know what your legal options are.
Zanes Law Can Represent You in Your Hernia Mesh Lawsuit
Hernia mesh manufacturers sell their medical devices to patients in need of relief from their hernia condition. When they design defective products and knowingly distribute them with no warning of danger to the consumer, they commit an act of negligence. They should be held responsible for their actions.
By filing a hernia mesh lawsuit against the manufacturer, you can cover your medical costs and other damages, plus you can send a message that this abusive corporate greed is unacceptable and unprofitable.
If you experienced a hernia mesh failure, Zanes Law can help you seek compensation from the manufacturers whose negligence resulted in your injury. We will do everything from A to Z to recover your damages. For a free case review, call 866-499-8989.
Get Your Free Case Evaluation
- Everything You Need to Know About Grocery Store Slip & Fall Accidents
- Stay Safe on the Road: Essential Bicycle Safety Tips
- Passenger in a Car Accident? Here’s What You Need to Know.
- Saying These 5 Things After an Accident Can Hurt Your Settlement
- Zanes Law Awards $2,700 College Scholarship to Texas Tech University Student