What Questions Should I Ask My Car Accident Lawyer?
When you hire a lawyer to handle your car accident case, you are embarking on an important relationship. Do not just settle for the first name that rolls up on your screen. Pick a few candidates, interview them with thoughtfully prepared questions, listen carefully, and choose wisely.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another person’s negligent driving, call Zane’s Law. We will do everything from A to Z to answer your questions with care and respect, and to represent your legal concerns with zeal. Call today for a free consultation at 866-499-8989.
Basic Steps to Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
Finding the right lawyer that matches your needs, your personality, and your budget need not intimidate you.
Follow these steps carefully, and you will engage with the right lawyer for you:
- Research – Search online for “personal injury lawyer” in your area. Check their websites for credentials and any client testimonials. You can also post a call for recommendations on local social media sites. Come up with a list of three or so final candidates.
- Prepare – Write a list of questions to ask your candidates in your initial consultation. Jot down the details of the accident so you can share them with each candidate.
- Interview – Call each of your final candidates to arrange an initial consultation. Ask the questions you have prepared and take careful notes. Also, get a feel for whether you and the attorney connect. You will be working together on this effort and it is important that you feel comfortable with each other.
- Review – Go over your notes from each initial consultation and pair them with your general feelings about each lawyer.
- Hire – Sign on with the attorney that you think best suits your style and budget, and who will get you the legal outcome you need.
To help you prepare for these important interviews, we offer the following questions you can ask each attorney who makes your short list of candidates.
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Lawyer: Experience and Background
These questions you should ask a car accident lawyer will give some indication of the candidate’s qualifications to handle your car accident case:
- What is the scope of your practice (strictly car accidents, bicycle accidents, truck accidents, personal injury, etc.)?
- Are you a member of a bar association? Other organizations?
- From which law school did you graduate and when?
- For how many years have you practiced personal injury law?
- Roughly how many car accident victims do you represent annually?
- What is the ratio of cases you settle vs. cases you take to trial?
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Lawyer: Legal Opinion of Your Case
Here you will begin by presenting the candidate with the facts of your accident. Be thorough, and do not leave out any details. You never know what could be a remarkable fact that will affect the lawyer’s opinion of your case.
- Based on what I have told you, how would you assess my case?
- What do I have working for and against me in my case?
- How long do you think the whole legal process will take?
- Can you estimate how much of a settlement or judgment I might get?
- Do you think the case will end up in the trial?
- What are the statutes of limitations?
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Lawyer: Managing Your Case
- Are you the actual lawyer who will be managing my case?
- How will I receive updates about my case?
- Who else in your firm will work on my case, and in what capacity?
- Who will I contact with questions about my case?
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Lawyer: Rates and Fees
- How do you charge your personal injury clients? Contingency? Hourly?
- Will I be responsible for additional expenses? What might they add up to?
- Do I still owe you money if we don’t win?
- Can you tell me about similar clients you have represented and how much they ended up with (after paying your legal fees and expenses)?
Zanes Law Wants to Answer Your Questions About Your Car Accident Case
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another party, call Zanes Law personal injury lawyers at 866-499-8989. We will do everything from A to Z to get you the compensation you deserve.