Everything You’ve Ever Wondered About Parking Lot Car Accidents
Astonishingly, one in every five car accidents takes place in a parking lot. Of all car accident insurance claims, 14% are parking lot car accidents.
For a free legal consultation, call 866-499-8989
Types of Parking Lot Car Accidents
Car accidents in parking lots involve things like:
- Accidental acceleration leading to uncontrolled vehicles
- Driving the wrong way down parking lanes
- Drunken or reckless driving in a nearly empty parking lot
- Not heeding posted caution and stop signs in parking lot
- Opposite-parked cars backing into each other
- Runaway shopping carts
- Stray children not visible to backing up driver
- Too fast driving in parking lot
How To Avoid Parking Lot Car Accidents
The National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration reports about 22%of children between five and nine years old who were killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians. Many of these fatalities occurred drivers did not see children behind the vehicle as they were backing up. It’s possible to avoid parking lot accidents with a few precautions.
- Take note of pedestrians around your vehicle as you are loading items and before pulling away.
- Utilize a backup camera to ensure no pedestrians are behind your vehicle. If your vehicle doesn’t have this safety feature, you may be able to have an aftermarket one installed.
- Back out slowly, giving others time to warn you if an accident is imminent.
- Park in well-lighted areas at night, where other cars are more likely to see your parked vehicle.
- Park next to curbs and buildings, where your car will be partially protected on that side.
You may not be able to prevent a parking lot accident happening to you, especially if it’s someone else’s fault. If you are involved in a parking lot accident, please contact Zanes Law at 866-499-8989 for a free consultation about your case. We can assist you in getting the compensation you may be entitled to.