You may be eligible to collect compensation if a loved one died because of another party’s negligence or wrongdoing. A wrongful death lawyer in Mesa, AZ, from Zanes Law, will fight for your rights and help you receive what you deserve.
After the death of a loved one, it is normal to feel angry, scared, or uncertain, especially if the death was untimely and involved the actions or inactions of another party. So, you need time to heal and not worry about appointments with your lawyer. That is why our Mesa, AZ, personal injury lawyers travel to you when and where it is convenient.
How a Wrongful Death Attorney in Mesa, AZ, Can Help You
Losing a loved one to someone’s mistakes is truly difficult. You deserve peace and healing, but you also deserve justice and compensation. And even though money can’t bring them back, you can make the liable parties pay.
We can help you go after the responsible parties and take care of the legal tasks. Our legal team has decades of combined experience fighting for the rights of Mesa residents who have lost loved ones. We have resources to put toward your case and a winning track record that we can put to work for you immediately. When you contact us, we’ll do the following:
- Examine and evaluate your case to see if it has merit
- Investigate and collect evidence that proves that your loved one’s demise was caused by negligence or errors
- Speak to any willing bystanders and witnesses
- Determine the value of your wrongful death claim and the compensation you’ll get
- Start the claims process or file the wrongful death lawsuit in Mesa
- Fight for and represent your interests throughout the case
- Win the maximum settlement amount that you deserve
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Mesa, call 866-499-8989
Proving Negligence in a Wrongful Death Case in Mesa, AZ
One of the most critical aspects of handling a wrongful death case is establishing negligence. Proving negligence is essential because it forms the foundation for holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions or inactions which led to the untimely death of your loved one. To succeed in a wrongful death claim, we need to demonstrate four key elements of negligence:
- Duty of care: The first step is to show that the defendant owed a duty of care to the deceased. In Arizona, a duty of care is a legal obligation to avoid harming others through action or inaction. The duty of care varies depending on the circumstances and the relationship between the parties involved.
- Breach of duty: Once we establish a duty of care, the next step is to demonstrate that the defendant broke that duty. This means showing that they failed to exercise the amount of care someone who is reasonable would have in similar circumstances.
- Causation: We must establish a direct link between the defendant’s actions and the death of your loved one. This means demonstrating that the negligent actions or omissions were the actual cause of the fatal incident. This can sometimes be complex, as we need to show that the death would not have occurred without the defendant’s negligence.
- Damages: Finally, we must prove that the wrongful death resulted in measurable damages. Damages can include medical expenses incurred before the death, funeral and burial costs, lost income and financial support, and the emotional suffering the surviving family members endured.
To build a strong case, we will thoroughly investigate all available evidence, including police reports, witness statements, expert testimony, medical records, and any relevant documentation. Additionally, we will work closely with the surviving family members to understand the full extent of their loss and how it has affected their lives emotionally and financially.
Hiring an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Mesa, AZ, can significantly increase your chances of success and make sure your rights are protected throughout the legal journey.
Mesa Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 866-499-8989
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Arizona
Several types of accidents can cause wrongful death. All it takes is for someone to be careless by disregarding your loved one’s safety. We have fought and won wrongful death claims for clients who lost loved ones from the following types of accidents:
- Car accidents: If your loved one died in a car accident, our Mesa, AZ, car accident attorneys will pursue the responsible driver and their insurer for compensation.
- Truck accidents: In the event of a death caused by a truck accident, several parties may bear liability, including the truck driver, the trucking company, and the truck manufacturer.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice is a leading cause of death in Arizona and the United States. We will hold the doctor or medical professional who caused your loved one’s death liable. We can also go after the hospital or medical facility where the malpractice occurred.
- Premises liability: If your loved one died from injuries from a hazardous condition on residential or commercial property, we can file a wrongful death claim against the property owner or manager.
- Defective products: If a defective or damaged product caused or contributed to your loved one’s death, we will pursue compensation from the manufacturer.
- Intentional violence: If your loved one dies from a violent act, we will aggressively pursue the perpetrator for compensation.
Our team of Mesa, AZ, wrongful death lawyers can give you a free consultation to determine if you qualify for compensation.
What Damages Can You Recover After a Mesa, AZ, Wrongful Death?
At Zanes Law, we can help you recover the fair compensation you deserve for the loss of your loved one. A Mesa, AZ, wrongful death lawyer will fight to win the following damages:
- Loss of your loved one’s future income: A person who suffers an untimely death often has many years of earning potential still ahead of them. Our attorneys can help you recover that money from the responsible party or parties.
- Loss of companionship and guidance: Our loved ones provide more than money. They are a source of love, companionship, and guidance. You deserve compensation for losing these things from your loved ones, such as your spouse.
- Funeral expenses: We will help you recover compensation for a proper burial and funeral for your loved one.
- Medical expenses: If your loved one received medical treatment for their injuries before their death, we can help you recover the cost of care.
- Pain and suffering: Losing a loved one is emotionally wrenching. You deserve substantial compensation for what your loved one’s sudden passing has put your family through.
Remember that you could qualify for some or all of these wrongful death damages. The only way to know what damages you can recover is to meet with a Mesa, AZ, wrongful death attorney.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Arizona Statute of Limitations on Wrongful Death Claims
The statute of limitations to file a wrongful death claim in Arizona is generally two years from the date of death under Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 12-542. That said, the deadline can be longer or shorter depending on several factors unique to your case.
For that reason, you should meet with a lawyer as soon as possible after your loved one’s death. Our legal team can evaluate the situation and inform you of all deadlines and any other considerations that may affect your claim. If necessary, our Mesa wrongful death attorneys will file a quick lawsuit to avoid the statute expiring on your claim.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against a Liable Third Party in Arizona
We may also be able to sue a liable third party whose negligence or errors indirectly led to the passing of your family member. For instance, if your loved one was killed in a car accident, we could hold the defendant’s manufacturer responsible if we find that the necessary safety features that could have prevented an accident are missing.
A recent landmark ruling by the Arizona Supreme Court has made this possible. Because of the ruling, the family of a four-year-old girl who died in a rear-end collision can now sue the defendant’s vehicle manufacturer for making a necessary safety feature like automatic emergency braking optional instead of a basic feature in every car model.
During the hearing, expert witnesses demonstrated that had the emergency braking feature been present in the vehicle that rear-ended the deceased’s; the daughter wouldn’t have been killed. Instead, the emergency braking system would have kicked in and stopped the car, thus preventing the accident or minimizing the force of the collision.
The manufacturer is looking to counter these claims at the trial. However, if the family wins this case, it may set a new precedent in Arizona’s wrongful death cases: manufacturers could become liable to third parties that families of deceased victims can sue in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation from Zanes Law
Zanes Law wants to hear from you if your loved one died because of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. A Mesa, AZ, wrongful death attorney can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
We offer a free consultation and case evaluation, and our attorneys will travel to you when and where it is convenient. To learn more and speak with a staff member, please contact us online or call our office for a free no-obligation consultation.