If you or a loved one got hurt in a boating accident, a Mesa, Arizona boating accident lawyer can help you go after damages for your losses. Call Zanes Law today at (866) 499-8989 for a free consultation. We will come to you in your hospital room or your home. We make things convenient for our clients. We will handle both the initial consultation and sign-up in one telephone call.
We understand that getting hurt in a boating accident can turn your life upside-down. Our clients can focus on getting better while we take care of everything else. At Zanes Law, we do everything from A to Z.
How to Protect Your Rights After a Mesa Boating Accident
You need to take care of your health and your legal rights after getting hurt in a boating accident in Mesa.
- Get immediate medical attention to safeguard your health. Your injuries have the best chance of healing well with prompt medical attention. Also, you might have injuries that have not yet shown symptoms, like internal bleeding.
- Work with a Mesa boating accident lawyer right away if someone else’s carelessness caused your injuries. We will work directly with the at-fault person’s liability insurance carrier to negotiate a settlement of your losses. If the case does not settle, we will file a lawsuit seeking money damages on your behalf.
- We will use your medical records, among other things, to link your injuries to the boating accident, so do not delay in going to the emergency room or your doctor, whichever is appropriate. If you try to “tough it out” for a few days, the defendant will likely allege that you got hurt from some other event and not the boating accident.
- All vessel operators involved in the accident must send a report of the accident to the Arizona Game and Fish Department within 48 hours of an individual getting injured or killed.
Every situation is different. You might need to take different or additional steps, depending on your circumstances. There may also be a statute of limitations under AZ § 12-542 that presents a timeline we must follow when pursuing justice for your injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Mesa, call 866-499-8989
Navigation Rules in Arizona
Many accidents happen because people violate the navigation rules of our state. Some of the factors that can determine who must give way include:
- The type of watercraft—a powerboat or a sailboat.
- Meeting head-on
- When the paths of the two boats are crossing
- When one boat overtakes another
- Whether you are on the water during the daytime or at night
If a person is operating a watercraft without sufficient instruction or is under the influence of alcohol, he might not follow the Arizona navigation rules. When this conduct causes or contributes to an accident or injury, the injured person can seek money damages.