Garbage Truck And Car Collide In Intersection, Teen Killed
- Doug Zanes
- July 23, 2019 Truck Accidents
A 14-year-old girl was killed in a collision involving a passenger vehicle and a garbage truck on Sunday, July 21st. The AZ Family website reports that Ella Thomas, 14, died in a crash that happened in the intersection of 51st Avenue and Thunderbird Road at approximately 4:40 a.m.
A spokesperson for the Phoenix Fire Department, Todd Keller said in a statement that the Hyundai sedan that Thomas had been riding in along with a 16-year-old driver and two other teens entered the intersection at the same time.
Investigators say that the car and the garbage truck became entangled and skidded eastbound across the pavement and hit a pair of trees along the roadside. The garbage truck tipped over on top of the smaller sedan, trapping the teens inside the car.
The 16year-old driver and the two teens were injured in the crash and were taken to an area hospital for treatment. Thomas died at the scene of the accident.
The driver of the garbage truck, a 50-year-old man, was also hurt in the crash. He is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Police do not believe that impairment played any role in the fatal crash; however, speed as well as failure to yield may have played a significant role. Investigators are still trying to determine what happened.
A candlelight vigil was held on Monday at the scene of the crash. Friends of the family have begun a fundraiser for the Thomas’ to help with funeral and other expenses.
Related Blog Posts
26 May 2015
07 Aug 2015
Get Your Free Case Evaluation
- Police Prepare To Implement Stay-At-Home Orders In Arizona
- A Passenger Suffering From Gunshot Wounds Was Involved In A Rollover Crash
- A Tanker Explodes Off Of Interstate 40, The Fire Lasting Into The Morning Hours
- Details About A Crash That Injured A Motorcyclist And Its Passenger Remain Unclear
- A Good Samaritan Was Injured In A Complex, Multi-Vehicle Accident