Phoenix Injury Lawyer’s Advice on Filing a Car Accident Report
- Casey Hamm
- May 9, 2018
- auto accidentAuto Accident TucsonCar accident lawyer PhoenixPhoenix car accident lawyer
Filing A Car Accident Report With The Police In Arizona—Dos And Don’ts
If you have a car accident in Arizona, it’s important to know what to do and how filing a car accident report with the Arizona police works. Here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind.
- Do be prepared to provide a police officer and/or the other driver with your driver’s license, vehicle registration and car insurance information.
- Do report the accident if another vehicle was involved, even if the other driver claims not to be injured. Although Arizona law doesn’t require a police report in cases of vehicle damage only, you’ll be better protected if you report it.
- Do document roadway and weather conditions.Use any means available, such as written notes or cell phone pictures.
- Do take note of the officer’s name and badge number. Confirm the officer’s contact information in case you need to reach him later on.
- Don’t argue with officers or interfere with their process. Even if it appears to you that they are biased in favor of the other driver, remain respectful and cooperative.
- Don’t admit to any wrongdoing. Describe the details of the accident, while still being truthful and honest. But limit yourself to the facts, and don’t add your opinion of legal liability. There may be contributing factors that you don’t yet know about, so don’t accept blame.
- Don’t answer questions that may incriminate you. You don’t have to answer questions about your mental or physical condition, or whether you were driving under the influence. Be sure to respectfully decline such interrogations until you have a lawyer present.
Remember that you have both rights and responsibilities as a driver after a car crash. For insight about how to handle the insurance company, obtain fair compensation and feel back in control, contact Zanes Lawat 866-499-8989. We can provide a free strategic consultation about your next steps.