What Can I Do If My Insurance Company Denies My Car Accident Claim?
- Zanes Law Web Team
- January 7, 2019
If your insurance company denies your car accident claim, you have the option to appeal their decision.
It is possible that the insurance company is making its decision based on inaccurate or incomplete information. A car accident lawyer that is familiar with the claims process can help you evaluate your options and file a compelling appeal.
Common Reasons Insurance Companies Deny Claims
If your insurance company denies your claim, it is important to understand why. There are many reasons why an insurance company may deny a claim. These are a few of the most common:
- Your insurance policy has lapsed: Make sure your insurance payments are always up to date. Missing even one payment beyond the grace period can void your claim.
- Your policy does not cover the damages in question: Some people learn that their policy has strict limitations after filing a claim. Fully evaluate your coverage before signing up with an insurance company.
- You are not included in the policy: Make sure your insurance policy covers all family members.
- The damages exceed the maximum compensation allowed: Your insurance company may have a maximum amount of compensation available.
- You failed to meet timeline requirements: The insurance company often has set timelines during which you can notify them of an accident.
- The claim includes false information: Avoid offering details that are false or questionable.
- Liability is not clear: It may be necessary to work with a car accident lawyer to determine who is liable for damages.
Avoiding an Insurance Claim Denial
There are steps you can take to avoid receiving an insurance claim denial:
- Avoid offering a recorded statement
- Consult with a car accident lawyer
- Avoid posting details of your car accident on social media
- Never accept fault
- Avoid making false claims
- Always make insurance premium payments on time
- Consider discussing your case with a lawyer before agreeing to a settlement
How a Lawyer Can Assist With a Denied Claim
Sometimes, even when a claim includes all of the necessary information and is within the time limit, your insurance company will deny it. An Arizona car accident lawyer can help you in the following ways:
- Request reasoning for the denial
- Collect evidence to determine fault
- Calculate the full extent of damages from the car accident
- Include the requested information with the claim
- Change an insufficient coverage status to tendering policy limits
- Encourage timely payment
- Seek third-party payment when damages exceed insurance compensation
Bad Faith Insurance Companies
If your insurance company denies your claim, then they must give you a valid reason why. They must also offer you this reasoning within a timely fashion. Additionally, there must be a formal appeals process available.
Unfortunately, insurance companies do not always follow these rules. They may attempt to downplay the severity of the accident or to limit their liability to avoid payments. A car accident lawyer that is familiar with Arizona’s laws can help you tackle bad faith tactics that are sometimes used by insurance companies by reporting the decision to the State Insurance Commissioner or filing a claim against the bad faith insurance company.
When an insurance company does not act in good faith, they harm the injured party. Suffering injuries from a car accident is already overwhelming on its own. Medical bills, property damages, and household expenses can quickly add up, especially if you are unable to work following the accident.
A car accident lawyer can improve the communication between the insurance company and you, ensuring that they hold up their part of the deal.
Discuss Your Arizona Car Accident Case With a Lawyer Today
You expect your insurance company to be there for you when you are in a car accident. It can be overwhelming to learn that despite your monthly insurance premium payments, they will not pay for your damages. Receiving an insurance claim denial is not necessarily a final decision. You may still have options available to collect the compensation that you deserve.
Scheduling a free case evaluation with a car accident lawyer that is familiar with Arizona’s insurance and claims laws can help you evaluate and appeal your claim. Reach out to a car accident lawyer today at Zanes Law at 866-499-8989.
Get Your Free Case Evaluation