What Are The Symptoms Of Bad Hernia Mesh?
- Zanes Law Web Team
- June 7, 2019
- Personal Injury
A bad hernia mesh can produce many uncomfortable and dangerous symptoms. The most common symptoms of a bad hernia mesh include:
- Abdominal pain
- Formation of fistulas
- Redness, swelling, or heat around the implantation area
- Additional flu-like symptoms
Complications Associated With Bad Hernia Mesh Symptoms
The complication rate for hernia mesh implants ranges from 12 to 30 percent, according to BBC News. Among the most common complications are the following:
- Mesh Migration – When the mesh travels to other body parts after eroding or shrinking (or being poorly secured). This migration poses a threat to other body organs and also leaves the hernia tissue without reinforcement, increasing the chance for recurrence.
- Infection – Around one in eight hernia mesh repair patients contract a bacterial or viral infection.
- Adhesion – If scar tissue forms, it can cause tissues and organs to fuse together. This can result in your organs malfunctioning.
- Mesh Rejection – When the body’s immune system reacts to the hernia mesh as a foreign body, it can cause redness, pain, and other adverse effects. The mesh will need to be removed to end these symptoms, though hernia mesh removal surgery carries its own significant complications and risks.
- Bowel Obstruction or Perforation – When scar tissue accumulates and blocks the intestines, it can render the patient unable to pass stool. This can cause perforations. Perforations can also result from the mesh piercing an organ.
- Hernia Recurrence – Although recurrence rates drop with mesh implants, they still commonly occur in patients.
- Chronic Pain – Around 11 percent of hernia mesh surgery patients experience ongoing pain after their hernia mesh repair. The pain could be tied to nerve compression or another mesh-related issue.
Prevalence of Hernia Mesh Complications
Many hernia mesh repair complications are associated with hernia mesh products that have been recalled. These meshes represent the primary cause of obstruction and bowel perforation complications, according to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports.
The FDA maintains a database of recalled medical devices, including hernia meshes. Your medical records will indicate the kind of hernia mesh that was used during your surgery, and you can check it against the database to learn whether that hernia mesh was recalled.
Lawsuits Against Hernia Mesh Manufacturers
In Rhode Island, thousands of victims of bad hernia mesh have filed lawsuits against a single manufacturer of hernia meshes, C.R. Bard, reports the National Law Review
In Ohio, Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) cases are forming in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Bellwether trials in both areas will conclude the possibility of a global settlement regarding this type of hernia mesh lawsuit. If the bellwether trials’ outcomes suggest that such settlements are unlikely, the individual cases will be remanded to the plaintiffs’ homes to await local trials.
Manufacturers of Bad Hernia Mesh Who Are Getting Sued by Injured Patients
The following hernia mesh manufacturers are facing lawsuits from patients who underwent surgical hernia mesh repair and were injured from the bad mesh:
- Atrium: C-Qur and Proloop product lines
- Bard: PerFix, 3DMax, Marlex, Kugel, Composix, Ventralex, Ventrio, Sepramesh and Ventralight product lines
- Covidien: Parietex product line
- Genzyme: Sapramesh (purchased by Bard)
- Gore Medical: Gore-Tex mesh
- Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon: Physiomesh, Proceed, PHS and Prolene 3D product lines
The Legal Basis for the Lawsuits Against Manufacturers of Bad Hernia Mesh
As manufacturers witness the growing demand for hernia meshes, they rush through design, production, and approval processes in an aim to get to market first with their hernia meshes and capture a sizable portion of market profits.
Under the veil of helping patients desperate to repair their hernias, these manufacturers fumbled the opportunity to do the right thing at every step of the product push. These failures serve as the legal ground that plaintiffs are citing in their lawsuits. Specifically, manufacturers of bad hernia mesh:
- Failed to test the hernia mesh products in a meaningful way before placing them on the market
- Manufactured and distributed defective products
- Intentionally cloaked from the public any and all risks associated with hernia mesh implants
- Mispresented the safety and effectiveness of their hernia mesh repair devices
Contact a Lawyer as Soon as You Detect Symptoms
Find a personal injury attorney immediately after you detect symptoms from your hernia mesh repair. You have a limited time in which to pursue legal action against the manufacturers. A personal injury or mass tort lawyer who has handled defective medical device cases can review your case, tell you your options, and begin working on filing a lawsuit on your behalf. We will know if you qualify for a hernia mesh lawsuit based on the details of your case.
Zanes Law Wants to Fight for Your Rights in Your Hernia Mesh Lawsuit
When hernia mesh manufacturers design and/or manufacture defective devices to a desperate and unknowing public, they present a danger to society. Furthermore, they make good money doing it. By distributing their products fully knowing the risks they present, these manufacturers commit acts of egregious negligence. Let us hold them accountable for their actions.
If you have experienced symptoms from a bad hernia mesh, Zanes Law can help you get the compensation you deserve and send a message that this practice of corporate greed does not pay off in the long run.
Our legal team will do everything from A to Z to be your voice in this fight. For a free consultation, call 866-499-8989.
Get Your Free Case Evaluation
- Family Learns Of Bus Accident When Another Child Carries Their Child Into The Home, Bus Driver Refused To Help
- Opioid Ruling: Interpretation and Analysis
- Study: Nearly half of drivers do not use blinker while driving
- Woman Pierces Eye With Metal Drinking Straw In Accident, Dies
- 2019 School Supply Giveaway Attendees!