Wrongful Death Claims in Arizona
What is a wrongful death? A wrongful death occurs when someone dies due to someone else’s carelessness or negligence.
What is a wrongful death claim? A wrongful death claim is when you bring a legal claim to collect money in order to be compensated for the loss of a family member.
Who can file a wrongful death claim in Arizona?
- Parents can file a wrongful death claim on behalf of child who was killed.
- Children can file a wrongful death claim on behalf of a parent who was killed.
- A husband or wife can file a wrongful death claim when their spouse was killed.
- All eligible family members may only bring a single wrongful death claim.
Who cannot file a wrongful death claim?
- Grandparents, siblings, friends, and significant others.
How are wrongful death claims evaluated?
Every wrongful death claim is based on the individual relationships between the deceased and the family members making the claims as well as the underlying facts of the accident. A personal injury wrongful death attorney who handles wrongful death claims will be able to properly evaluate your claim. Below are two examples of important factors to consider:
- Relationship between the person bringing the claim and who is killed. For example, if a father was killed and supported his wife and two minor children. The minor children may have “lost” more than the wife because of the lack of father influence growing up, lack of financial support, etc.
- Economic loss. How much money the deceased earned and how much money will no longer be earned for the family.
Why wrongful death claims
are difficult and troubling.
- Often times there is not enough insurance coverage to fairly compensate all who are filing a claim.
- Insurance companies will avoid paying out as much as possible in wrongful death cases. Their reasoning for this is that “there is no dollar amount to bring that person back,” so why pay.
Losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence is extremely difficult.
A good personal injury wrongful death lawyer will treat you fairly when it comes to his legal fee in a wrongful death lawsuit circumstance like this and will ensure every potential insurance policy is investigated before settling to ensure maximum compensation for those effected.